From vision, eye and general health needs, through to framing
a change of look, no one can provide the scope of services and
health care that Doctors of Optometry deliver.
As Doctors of Optometry, we are trained to the highest
standards. Most Doctors of Optometry have earned a four-year
Bachelor of Science degree or higher, followed by four years of
professional study at a university-based school of optometry.
Ongoing continuing education requirements ensure we remain
current on eye health issues and technological advancements.
Our recommended treatment for patients can include prescribing medications, prescribing eyeglasses and contact lenses to correct vision, special low vision aids and eye coordination exercises. Doctors of Optometry can also refer you to appropriate specialists for advanced medical, surgical or laser treatments.
In addition to prescribing glasses and contacts, Doctors of Optometry can recommend eye health hygiene to treat infections, inflammations and allergies and prescribe medications. We can treat eye injuries, including removing foreign bodies. We assess unusual or sudden vision changes and various conditions causing eye pain.
If you have an eye-related emergency, Doctors of Optometry can often see you on the same day.
Our scope of practice
Your Doctor of Optometry can:
• Provide an optometric eye exam to examine, assess, measure and diagnose disorders and diseases
within the human visual system, such as glaucoma, cataracts and macular degeneration;
• Recognize related systemic conditions, such as diabetes, high blood pressure and brain tumors;
• Fit and dispense eyewear – including glasses, sunglasses, contact lenses, safety eyewear and low-vision
aids – to ensure they meet your vision and eye health needs;
• Most can prescribe medications (this varies by province – so ask your Doctor of Optometry for details);
• Remove foreign bodies from the eye;
• Provide referrals to secondary specialists, such as ophthalmologists, for treatment of systemic disease or
eye surgery when necessary;
• Co-manage pre- and post-operative care for laser vision correction;
• Co-manage ocular diseases with ophthalmologists; and
• Conduct research and promote education and advancement in the visual sciences.
Dr. Christine Fazio
Copyright Dr. Christine Fazio. All rights reserved.